Each year IACP recognizes and promotes excellence in law enforcement throughout the State of Indiana through the presentation of awards. Nominations for these awards shall be for the year prior to the scheduled awards presentation at the IACP Mid-Winter Conference. Nomination applications shall be from IACP member departments. The IACP Awards Committee selects the recipients from among the nominations.
- Police Officer of the Year (Full-time Municipal Police Officer)
- Telecommunication Operator of the Year
- Community Service Award (Designated for a civilian or civilian employee of a member department, e.g. Victim Advocate, etc.)
- Legislator of the Year (State or Federal)
Police Officer of the Year
It is fully understood by the Awards Committee that law enforcement officers are at risk each and every time they put on their uniform. To be eligible for the Police Officer of the Year award, the nominee must have gone well beyond his or her duties as a police officer. The extenuating circumstances of an incident are sometimes the difference between a normal day on shift and extraordinary action taken by an officer. To be nominated, an officer, in the view of the Committee, must have been exceptional and gone well beyond what is to be expected in the line of duty.
Telecommunication Operator of the Year
As above, the importance of all communications officers cannot be stressed enough. However, the nominated communications officer should, within the incident for which he or she is being nominated, clearly demonstrate action above and beyond his or her normal duties and responsibilities.
Community Service Award
Any citizen within your community can be nominated for the Community Service Award. The service for which this individual has been nominated, however, must be unique and solely identifiable with the nominee. Please relate specifically how your community would be lessened if the nominated individual was not engaged in the activity for which he or she has been nominated. In addition, please describe how your community has been enhanced by this individual, with specific reference to any person(s) that have been materially assisted by your nominee.
Legislator of the Year
This person shall be nominated by the vote of the Government Relations Committee and accepted as presented by the Awards Committee. If a legislator with whom you are familiar has provided outstanding service to the law enforcement community, please advise your District Director, who will then contact the Government Relations Committee.
- All nominations, except those for the Legislator of the Year, shall be submitted on an approved IACP Nomination Application.
- All Nomination Applications shall be from IACP member departments.
- All Applications shall be signed off and approved by the member department’s agency head.
- All Nomination Applications shall include in narrative form the stated purpose for which the Member Department believes the nominee should be recognized.
- All Nomination Applications shall be submitted to the IACP Awards Committee.
- Nominations for these Awards shall be for the year prior to the scheduled Awards Presentation at the IACP Mid-Winter Conference in January.
- The Member Department’s agency head, or his/her designee, shall attend the Awards Presentation along with the honoree for the express purpose of sharing their story of why the honoree has been recognized.
Police Officer of the Year
|2013||Brady Sorrells||Frankfort P.D.|
|2012||Jerame Simpson and Keith Perez||Valparaiso P.D.|
|2010||Eric Mitchell||Newburgh P.D.|
|Lawrence Wilson||Indianapolis Metropolitan P.D.|
|2009||Billy Bolin / Paul Kirby / Patrick Phernetton||Evansville P.D.|
|2008||Eric Morris||Chandler P.D.|
|2007||Allen Gansman||Evansville P.D.|
|2006||Brian Turpin||Evansville P.D.|
|2005||Kevin Kobli||Fishers P.D.|
|2004||Brent Hoover||Evansville P.D.|
|2003||Keith Smith||Evansville P.D.|
|2002||Dean Pontjeris||Porter Co. S.D.|
|2001||Bernard J. Johnsen||St. John P.D.|
|2000||Marc A. Premil||Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District|
|1999||Darryl G. Bliss||Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District|
|1998||James Anderson||Danville P.D.|
|2009||Teri Barker||Greensburg P.D.|
|2008||JeanAnne Cruser||Greensburg P.D.|
|2007||Amy Kaiser||Seymour P.D.|
|2006||LuAnn Wunderlich||Aurora P.D.|
|2005||Heather Smart||Rensselaer P.D.|
|2002||Robyn Wells||Schererville P.D.|
|2001||Linda D. Brandle||Lawrence P.D.|
|2000||Gabriel T. Treon||FBI|
|1999||Tonia Tucker||Indiana State University Public Safety|
|1998||Terri Heitlinger||Munster P.D.|
|2013||John Schnadenberg||Chesterton P.D.|
|2012||Wayne Merriman||West Lafayette P.D.|
|2010||Indiana's D.A.R.E. Officers|
|2008||Mike Koning||West Lafayette P.D.|
|2006||Holly K. Dunn-Pendleton||Evansville P.D.|
|2005||Sheryl Laney||Crown Point P.D.|
|2003||Justin Ash||Milltown P.D.|
|2002||Chaplain Jack Anderson||Hobart P.D.|
|2000||Charles C. Burch||Indiana Law Enforcement Academy|
|1999||Patricia Smallwood||Fort Wayne P.D.|
|1998||Catherine R. Vautaw||FBI|
|Year||Candidate||Body of Government|
|2012||Jim Arnold||Indiana Senate|
|2011||Randy Head||Indiana Senate|
|2009||Thomas J. Wyss||Indiana Senate|
|2008||Greg Steuerwald||Indiana House of Representatives|
|2007||Linda Lawson||Indiana House of Representatives|
|2006||William J. "Bill" Ruppel||Indiana House of Representatives|
|2002||Pete Visclosky||U.S. House of Representatives|
|2000||Thomas J. Wyss||Indiana Senate|
|1999||Robert L. Meeks||Indiana Senate|
|1998||Dan Stevenson||Indiana House of Representatives|